Whether it is by the front door, in the bedroom or in the office, the contents of most men’s pockets are destined to land in a sloppy pile on the first open surface that can be found. The keys, loose change, gum wrappers, business cards and even pieces of lint quickly accumulate leading clutter.
The valet (also known as a catch-all) not only provides a place for a man to empty his pockets, but it also helps to corral the pocket clutter and protect the surface of the dumping area. Try using a sturdy decorative bowl that you have in the house, or one of the various designs that be found online or in stores. My newly discovered favorite combines a valet with a coin bank, making it even easier to stay organized.
Regardless of the style you choose, I promise it will make your life more neat and make it easier for you to grab all your necessities next time you leave home, minus the lint.
Favorite Item – Valet Coin Bank by Ideaco
While most men don’t have many grooming products or accessories, they do have some important items in both the bathroom and bedroom that need a home. I have often found that if men (and women too) don’t take the time to organize and designate areas for their products, they will most likely land up being placed wherever there is an open space. This ultimately leads to large amounts of clutter and disorganization. Here are some tips that I shared last week with Lesley Nagy, from Better TV, on how to prevent this and help men get a bit more organized.
Quick tips from the video:
- Cologne Tray – Place your cologne on a decorative tray to keep them neatly organized in one area and to protect your furniture from oils that could ruin its finish.
- Decorative Storage Box – Utilize a small, compartmentalized storage box to keep special items like cuff links, tie tacks, sunglasses, a lucky penny, a special note from your significant other, etc.
- Pocket Tray/Bowl – Use a small tray or decorative bowl to unload your pockets. This will keep your daily items such as your keys, wallet, lip balm, gum, etc all neatly organized in one place. It will also make it easy to grab everything the next time you get dressed to leave your home.
- Designate Product Areas in the Bathroom – Give your products a designated home to keep things organized and ensure everything gets put away properly. Think of categories such as shaving, hair products, facial products, oral hygiene, etc.
- Shave in the Shower – Invest in a fog-proof mirror and do all of your beard trimming and shaving in the shower. It will help you get a more comfortable shave, make clean-up a breeze and keep your sink area whisker-free.
- Move Excess Product – If you are working with a small bathroom, move your excess product to a hall closet or neatly organize it in a storage container that you can place on the top shelf of your bedroom closet.
Better TV: Organizing Men’s Grooming Products