Just because you’re in college doesn’t mean you have to feel like you are living in a dorm room, even if you really are. Stop resting things on the floor next to your bed and check out the Urban Shelf – a versatile go anywhere bed side table. It’s the perfect spot for your phone, remote control, book, drink, jewelry, bedside accoutrement or even a picture of your long distance love. The best part is it folds up when you don’t need it, and among other things it can even function as an iPad stand!
Whether it is by the front door, in the bedroom or in the office, the contents of most men’s pockets are destined to land in a sloppy pile on the first open surface that can be found. The keys, loose change, gum wrappers, business cards and even pieces of lint quickly accumulate leading clutter.
The valet (also known as a catch-all) not only provides a place for a man to empty his pockets, but it also helps to corral the pocket clutter and protect the surface of the dumping area. Try using a sturdy decorative bowl that you have in the house, or one of the various designs that be found online or in stores. My newly discovered favorite combines a valet with a coin bank, making it even easier to stay organized.
Regardless of the style you choose, I promise it will make your life more neat and make it easier for you to grab all your necessities next time you leave home, minus the lint.
Favorite Item – Valet Coin Bank by Ideaco
Accentuated by the bright and bold colors they are known for, Lilly Pulitzer will be debuting a home furnishings line with HFI this Summer. The line will consist of 200+ pieces and one amazing Shoe-Storage Ottoman, which Real Simple just noted as “Destined to be a Classic” – I couldn’t agree more! The ottoman should retail for around $599 and will be a great addition to bedrooms, walk-in closets and those compact New York City studio apartments where you can never have enough shoe storage.
If you have little children, I am sure that you are familiar with the constant flow of artwork that comes home with them almost daily from their daycare or school. With every new piece being their favorite, you can’t help but put it on display – not only are your refrigerator doors full, but their bedroom walls have become a gallery and your desk at work even houses several of their masterpieces. As proud as you are to display their work, you may be wondering if there is a way to more neatly showcase their art that won’t leave your walls or refrigerator cluttered.
Several years ago, the ladies of Wexel Art were pondering the same thing, which led to the creation of the Wexel Art Floating Frame. This easy-to-install, acrylic panel frame comes with 4 pairs of strong magnets that allow you to quickly and effortlessly change the prized work of your little artist (or, update the latest photo of your child with this week’s favorite Kodak moment). The clean modern design blends well with a variety of decorating styles and can easily be incorporated into a kitchen, a child’s bedroom or playroom, a casual family room, or even a home office. Use one frame to make a singular statement, or group them together to create a trio or a fun collage. These frames will not only leave your walls looking neat, but they will also make your little artist feel proud as you display their work in a more special way.
Wexel Frames come in various shapes, sizes and styles, which makes them the perfect solution for displaying:
- Store signage
- Award Certificates
- And more!
This Spring, Wexel Art will also be offering a limited edition run of frames designed by Eva Zeisel. Visit their website to find out more about the various sizes available, or to inquire about creating custom shape or custom size frames.
While most men don’t have many grooming products or accessories, they do have some important items in both the bathroom and bedroom that need a home. I have often found that if men (and women too) don’t take the time to organize and designate areas for their products, they will most likely land up being placed wherever there is an open space. This ultimately leads to large amounts of clutter and disorganization. Here are some tips that I shared last week with Lesley Nagy, from Better TV, on how to prevent this and help men get a bit more organized.
Quick tips from the video:
- Cologne Tray – Place your cologne on a decorative tray to keep them neatly organized in one area and to protect your furniture from oils that could ruin its finish.
- Decorative Storage Box – Utilize a small, compartmentalized storage box to keep special items like cuff links, tie tacks, sunglasses, a lucky penny, a special note from your significant other, etc.
- Pocket Tray/Bowl – Use a small tray or decorative bowl to unload your pockets. This will keep your daily items such as your keys, wallet, lip balm, gum, etc all neatly organized in one place. It will also make it easy to grab everything the next time you get dressed to leave your home.
- Designate Product Areas in the Bathroom – Give your products a designated home to keep things organized and ensure everything gets put away properly. Think of categories such as shaving, hair products, facial products, oral hygiene, etc.
- Shave in the Shower – Invest in a fog-proof mirror and do all of your beard trimming and shaving in the shower. It will help you get a more comfortable shave, make clean-up a breeze and keep your sink area whisker-free.
- Move Excess Product – If you are working with a small bathroom, move your excess product to a hall closet or neatly organize it in a storage container that you can place on the top shelf of your bedroom closet.
Better TV: Organizing Men’s Grooming Products